Thursday 25 October 2007

Action Packed Adventures for the whole family!

The world is moving so fast these days that the one who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it.
Harry Emerson Fosdick

Life is busy! Really busy!

And it is (ironically) in all that busyness, that a sense of concord has settled around me. I suppose it has a great deal to do with a sense of purpose and place and settling in; which says something in and of itself. It just may be that Japan is growing on me in more ways than I could ever have imagined!


One of the most interesting things about “settling in” here in Niyodogawa is the way my students are relating to me. Though there is still a language barrier between us, my Junior high students have taken to poking and prodding me, which is pretty acute communication. Especially from the boys, who – in their desperation to communicate on any level (this is what I tell myself to rationalize it all), poked me in the side and said something along the lines of “it’s squishy!”

What do you say to that!

At least it’s not as bad as the treatment Sarah got from here students “Hi Nipples!”

So, yes… touching and prodding and much attention paid to my physical appearance… How charming.

The girls are fascinated with my earrings, and for the first time I noticed how strange the concept of pierced ears are in Japan! Not even the female teachers wear earrings.

“No pain!” I insist, taking my earring out and putting it in, as the grade eight girls look like they are going to puke.

Barbaric Westerners…


No less barbaric then the celebration of Halloween, which Monica and I have been delighted to explain, using such loving props as Pin the Tail on the Black Cat, students a la Toilet Paper Mummy, and hand made masks (which were such a resounding success I actually felt BAD for the teacher who had to tame the kids excitement after I left… oops).

This Saturday I will strut my stuff as a faceless Japanese monster (Noppero Bo) downtown for the annual ALT Halloween Play (without a face, rather… not the other faceless…),. before metamorphosing into what I hope to be the best costume in Halloween History!!! (ambitions come in many forms)

But all this is eclipsed by my recent (and much impassioned) new interest in making – bra ba ba baaaaaaa- MOVIES. (Totally out of left field, I know!)

But what MAY surprise you is that I am NOT (brace yourself) the ham IN FRONT of the camera! Yeah I know! A chance to shine and I have opted for the (not so) “mundane techie stuff”!

There is an upcoming KOCHI FILM FESTIVAL in December, so I will post some of the fruits of these labors soon.

In the makings of some of these endeavors, I asked a couple people back home what they are interested in seeing about Japan, and the answers are really diverse. SO, here is your chance to vote and or suggest ideas for films, slide shows, etc:
- an all inclusive pan of sights, cities, people, sounds…
- nature walk
- strange and or outlandish Japanese idiosyncrasies
- documentary on my life, up to date



Finally! I have a Taiko Drumming debut coming up! (I have come along way from throwing Joel’s drum sticks out the window as a little girl…) I will post that video too, and the practice, for all you keeners, who are intent to master the art for yourself!

So yeah, busy!
And very much excited about all the upcoming events this fall and winter!

And, of course, write up some of the more outrageous adventures as of late, which I have had the time to do justice to!

I look forward to hearing from you!

No comments: